When searching for snorkeling tours in Playa del Carmen or Cancun you will quickly find that the best snorkeling area of the Mayan Riviera is the protected marine park of Puerto morelos. Puerto Morelos is a world-renowned snorkeling destination, but the marine park there is temporarily closed on Mondays due to coral bleaching.
Living Dreams Mexico is committed to protecting the coral reefs in this region, and we are taking this opportunity to educate our guests about the importance of coral conservation.
What is coral bleaching?
Coral bleaching is a natural phenomenon that occurs when corals are stressed by environmental conditions such as rising sea temperatures. When corals bleach, they lose their vibrant colors and can eventually die. Coral bleaching is a serious threat to coral reefs around the world, and it is caused by climate change.
What can we do to help?
There are many things that we can do to help protect coral reefs, including:
- Reducing our carbon emissions to help combat climate change.
- Use reef-safe sunscreen. Avoiding sunscreens that contain oxybenzone and octinoxate, which are harmful to coral reefs.
- Supporting sustainable tourism practices that minimize our impact on the environment.
How can you help?
If you are planning a trip to Puerto Morelos, you can help protect the coral reefs by:
- Choosing a tour operator that is committed to coral conservation and sustainable tourism.
- Avoiding sunscreens that contain oxybenzone and octinoxate. The use of rash guards is the best possible choice.
- Being mindful of your impact on the environment, such as by not littering or touching the coral.
Living Dreams Mexico is committed to protecting the coral reefs in Puerto Morelos. We believe that everyone has a role to play in coral conservation, and we are proud to be doing our part.
Here are some of the ways that we are working to protect coral reefs:
- We are working with the Marina Park authorities to promote sustainable tourism practices in the region.
- We are educating our guests about the importance of coral conservation and how they can help.
- We are using rash guards on all of our tours.
- We are supporting coral reef restoration projects.
We believe that by working together, we can make a difference for the coral reefs in Puerto Morelos and around the world.
To learn more about our commitment to coral conservation, please visit our website or contact us today.
Thank you for your help in protecting the coral reefs!